–verb (used with object)
1. to start (a fire); cause (a flame, blaze, etc.) to begin burning.
2. to set fire to or ignite (fuel or any combustible matter).
3. to excite; stir up or set going; animate; rouse; inflame: He kindled their hopes of victory.
**Continued...
I awoke at 2:23 am to my cat attempting to lay on my face. I know it was 2:23 am, as I checked my cell phone to see if my husband had left me a text message - he is usually up around that time and every day he sends me a good morning text.
"Ugh, Spook! Noooo..." I whined as I pushed her off my bed
Then came a pain in my lower back. I changed positions to go back to my blissful REM.
Again, pain in my lower back. I look at my clock. 2:28 am.
Change positions. Again. 2:33 am. Ow!....oook....
By this time I am awake and waiting in the dark. Sure enough.... 2:38 am.
*sighs*
I get together some clothes and get in the shower and wash my hair. The smell of Bumble and Bumble Coconut and the hot water running down my back help calm me and seem to help ease the contractions.
By the time I got out of the shower - 3 minutes apart. "Maybe I should hurry up a bit...."
I walked into the living room and gently woke my brother, "David? David?? Are you awake? You need you to get up... I'm in labor. We have to go to the hospital."
I've never seen anyone jump up so fast just to run in circles. I chuckled and told him to calm down, this could take a while and if I was calm he should be too. I asked him to gather the items on the list I had left on the refrigerator.
Still 3 minutes apart and getting stronger.... I am bracing myself against the back of my loveseat, breathing slowly, as I stand on my tiptoes. Elongating my lower back seems to alleviate the pain, even if only a bit.
David grabbed my bag and woke Aidy and we went to the car.
I called Duane. No answer. He was scheduled to leave for a field excersize around that time - he would be gone for 3 days. I left him a voicemail.
Duane calls right back. Between contractions I tell him what is happening. I put him on hold each time another contraction comes... more frequently. I turned on the radio because Aidy begins to fuss - the song Eye of the Tiger is playing and it makes me laugh for a moment. Duane is also amused. Aidy likes that song.
When we get to the hospital it is 3:12 am. I ask my brother to go get some help - he comes back with a wheelchair. I ask him how he is going to push me and carry Aidy by himself. He leaves to go get help. I am mildly amused, but impatient at this point because of the pain which is excruciating and still in my back. If I could have just walked I would have.
Someone shows up to push me and begins asking me distracting questions. I am annoyed that he asks two of the same questions twice and decide to not speak to him anymore.
3:31 am. I am in my room in labor and delivery and immediately ask for an epidural. I have to wait for my doctor who has been called. I change into a gown and I am set up on an IV and the nurse says she doesn't think there will be time for an epidural after she checks me. I am at 7+ cm and 90%.
I talk to Duane one last time so that I can hear his voice and then my cell phone died. I was able to tell him I would call him as soon as I could and hear him tell me that he loved me and to be strong.
4:09 am. The contractions are constant and I am in the most pain I have ever been in. I tell the nurse that the pain is all in my back and the contractions are not stopping. She said that it was because Kindle was coming down fast and face up - I was having back labor.
Fabulous.
4:17 am. My doctor arrived. I hadn't realized that my brother and Aidy were still in the hall and the nurse suggests that they leave the area for a while so that Aidy couldn't hear me. I thank the nurse and I manage to tell David to take Aidy home and I would call him as soon as I could. I told them both that I loved them and I would be ok.
I almost didn't believe that last part. I reached a point where I truly believed I couldn't continue. I remember involuntary tears and cold sweat. I remember keeping my eyes closed as if my sight had something to do with the pain. I remember calling out for my husband and remembered that he was thinking of me and Kindle and waiting for us to call.
4:32 am. I wanted Kindle out. I needed her out. I tried explaining to them that the contractions wouldn't stop. I told the nurse to get her f***ing hand out of my crotch if she couldn't stop adding to my pain. She listened.
I don't feel bad about that. She was too aggressive and just rude. That was the only profanity I used the entire labor - I was actually quite proud of myself.
My doctor was robing up when the nurse told me to begin to push. I pushed twice and they both told me to stop. "We're not ready yet." said my doctor.
They weren't ready.
Incredulous.
I was supposed to just STOP?! The ONLY relief I had from pain was when I could muster the strength enough to push and change it to pressure. They couldn't give me any help to alleviate the pain and I was doing this naturally - so I was going to do it NATURALLY and follow my body and what it told me to do. I could have given a flying flip about them having their tools and instruments neatly organized on a metal tray in the appropriate positions - they were set up for Kindle already so I knew she would be taken care of. I could feel where she was and she couldn't stay there. I pushed once more and her head was out. I gave the doctor a moment to get to where she could catch her and one more push...
4:38 am. September 07, 2008. After only 2 hours and 15 minutes exactly - Kindle Elizabeth was born. Naturally. She was 10 days past due.
7lbs 15oz, 20.5in, 10 fingers, 10 toes, Apgars of 8 and 9, black hair, Daddy's ocean blue eyes, and she looks a lot like her Momma. She is a bit wrinkly from being past due and there was very little of my waters left. I didn't even notice when it ruptured. She really did wait as long as she could.

Kindle Elizabeth at only 30 minutes old.
5:08 am. I was able to turn my cell phone on long enough to send Duane a text and a picture of his new daughter.
09/08/08
10:28 pm. I'm exhausted. We are home and Aidy is in bed sleeping. She is such a proud big sister and has way too many hugs and kisses to give her little sister. *chuckles* David is watching television on the couch. Kindle is sleeping peacefully in her swing beside me. I am finishing up this blog so that I can go feed her and we can go to bed (and hopefully sleep!).
Earlier this evening I was looking at my two girls. They are so beautiful. I can't put into words how truly blessed I feel to have them in my life.
I am so excited for their Daddy to see them again..... and have my family back together for good.
**4. to light up, illuminate, or make bright: Happiness kindled her eyes.




0 comments: on "Meet Miss Kindle"
Post a Comment